Saturday, July 7, 2012

Happy birthday Bobby

Today is the day my cousin Bob would celebrate as his birthday. His name was always on the birthday cake with our cousin, Kevin, whose birthday was july 4. We always celebrated it at my Uncle Bob's house, his grandpa.

We called Uncle Bob's house, Dill's Park. Uncle Bob made a sign that said member's only. One time, Uncle Bob said someone asked him how they could become a member (insert chuckle here)! There were always lots of people there from all sides of the fame, along with lots of friends.

Those family get togethers are such good memories! I've missed them lately. It seems the times I see my family the most is at funerals. There have been 3 this year. One of them was Bob's.

His body wore out in 40 years. It is hard not to see his smile or give me a bear hug when he comes my way.

I remember when he was a freshman in high school he let me know about some upperclassmen who were teasing him. I said I'd take care of it. I told those boys he was my family & to lay off. I'm sure this is the closest I've ever felt to a big sister.

I remember sneaking beer with him when we were too young to drink it. I remember talking to him about the realization that I couldn't stop drinking once I started and needed to quit completely. When he came to that same realization he talked to me about it.

Bob knew he was on my "love list". He would call every so often & tell me how things were going and i would pray with him for strength and courage to make it through to next part of his journey.

I say all of this to say, I miss you Bob. You left an impression on me that will continue to change me for the rest of my days.

No comments:

Post a Comment