Thursday, July 12, 2012

a tribute to my godmother, Lynn Alfano

I found out that my godmother, Lynn Alfano, passed away this week. I haven't had contact for a while with her or the family. Life gets so very busy & I always think I'll get to it and then it's too late. I can't live in a mindset of regret, but I will try to pick up the pace with the others on my heart.

Lynn & Phil came into my parent's life when my dad & Phil served in the national guard. I chuckle at the thought of them in uniform & with guns. These guys are both such sweethearts (at least this is the side I choose to think of).  The four of them have been friends for 50 years.  I don't know details of their adventures together. I'm sure there are some epic stories, though.

I don't remember the day of my holy baptism, as I was a baby, but the pictures show Lynn, in a red suit and hat, holding me on the steps of the church. There's just something so sweet about it. If I understand it correctly, the godparents make a pledge to aid in the spiritual upbringing of the child. She had no idea how this pledge would be lived out.

We would sit in front of their house for fireworks every July 17. Their house was at the base of the hill. Cinders would fall on the sidewalk next to us from the fireworks. You could feel the "BOOM" underneath you. It was awesome!

We were invited into their family. We would go to their home for Sunday dinner, a full blown Italian dinner. I was a backward, insecure kid who didn't like pasta & sauce. Lynn was so very sweet to me. She would get me a bowl of cereal, never commenting to me how much I was missing out or how odd I was. She would smile at me at the table. Through these gestures, she showed me how important it is to care for your family.  At my bridal shower, she gave me a crock pot. I really do think of her everytime I get it out of the cupboard. I have made my husband many meals that show care for him that I think she would approve of, although hers would be so much better. She was an amazing cook.

Oh, she loved her family so very much! She cheered them on to be the best they could be. She cared for the generation before and the generations to follow. My mom uses the word "selfless" to describe her.

I might see her a couple times a year and her greeting was always the same, "Hi Lor!" with a smile.  She smiled through it all in her closed mouth smile and nod of the head.

The one great gift I will always be grateful for is the gift of my spiritual growth. I was in early elementary school. Lynn & Phil invited my parents to make a Curseo weekend at church. They were so very excited about it. My dad went. Then my mom. This event was life changing for all involved. The life change was to make a personal investment in your relationship with God.  By realizing Jesus is our Savior and we can have constant relationship with God because of Jesus, we are empowered to follow Jesus daily. It's a little different than just a reverence of God. It's a relationship with God.

This invitation to my parents changed the course of my life forever. I am sold out to following Jesus in all I do. I felt God call me to a vocational service of ministry.

I thank God for you, Lynn. I know that I haven't seen you in a while, but there is a part of you that lives on in me every single day! I look forward to seeing you again!



No comments:

Post a Comment