Monday, July 23, 2012

royal family kids epiphany

Royal Family Kids, RFK, is a not for profit organization that provides opportunities for kids in the foster care system. These kids may be shuffled through different homes and centers throughout the years. It's a rough life for children to have to live because the adults in their lives make poor choices or leave them.

Last year, I had the privilege to serve as the teacher, which is the equivalent of being the speaker of the camp. There were some guidelines I needed to be sure to follow, but it was very similar to other camps or retreats I have ministered at.  I really enjoyed my time with these kids and team members.  When I was asked if I would consider doing it again, I quickly smiled and said "Yes!"

Today, when the kids pulled up in the buses and the team cheered for them as they planted on the campground, I was overwhelmed with the thought of how these kids are an unreached people group in our communities.

All foster care homes or centers are not designed for the benefit for the child. All foster parents are not equipped for reaching these bruised children. All foster care providers do not have a Jesus centered life.  My grandmother was a foster child. Her mother died when she was young and her father put her in an orphanage. I don't quite understand why this was the case because she had older brothers and sisters who could have taken care of her.  But she had the blessing of being placed in a Jesus centered foster home where she learned to play the piano, went to worship on Sundays with her "family" and was taken care of to the best of their abilities.

As I looked into the eyes of these kids, I wondered if they will be able to overcome the emotional upheaval in their lives if Jesus doesn't intervene so very soon.  This is where Royal Family Kids comes in.  I have a dream....

I'd like to see us sponsor the Royal Family Kids life for Mahoning County foster care kids! This is an amazing opportunity for the "big brother/big sister" concept to happen once a month and once a year kids could get away from the angst of life and just be a kid for 5 days!  Let's really take the concept of pastoring our community and reach into these kids lives with the love of Jesus.

We talk about living in community, but it's a different level to reach into a culture that is foreign to us. Let's love on some kids and their foster families. Let's live authentically and feed the orphans and widows.  It will take time , people, and money-the big three, but I believe this is from the heart of God.

I can't wait to see what happens through this week for the kids and for me! I know I won't leave this place the same as I got here...that's the way I like it!

Jesus, help us to see something outside of our regular life, friends, and family. Let us see into the eyes of young soul with the insight you see. Let us give of ourselves and change the world for you. Amen.

1 comment: